BIGFOOT COMES

Yesterday we had two special instructors that came from Bigfoot Adventures. Their names were Kate and Kyla. Bigfoot is a company funded by Auckland Transport that goes around schools teaching children how to ride a bike safely.Kate and Kyla told us the correct gear we should be wearing. You must wear fluorescent bright colours so that the drivers will be able to see you and we must not wear shoes that show our feet. They have to be covered shoes, so that our feet don’t get injured.

Later on they called people to line up against the fence, shortest to tallest. Four of the shortest people like me had to ride on the Bigfoot bikes and the tallest people had use the St Patrick’s bikes. We split into two groups. The least confident people went with Kate and the confident people went with kyla.  I was with Kyla and my favourite skill I learned was when we were weaving between the cones, and another one was learning how to use the gears only when we are pedalling.

Finally the last thing we did was have free time and we were able to go really fast without our hands on the handle bars. After riding we played a game called buddy up. You had to buddy up and when Kyla says  go on someone’s back the person behind you jumps on your back. It was so much fun. I said a thank you speech to them and hopefully we will have enough time next year to have another go at cycling. I love the freedom of riding outside.